Friday, August 24, 2007

Week 6 - Tagging, Folksonomies & Technorati

I think tagging and Del.icio.us would come in handy if you traveled a lot for work. It would be great to take all the sites you look at in the office with you. I do not have a use for it because I am not taking my work home with me. If I am on vacation, I steer clear of computers because everything can wait for me when I get home.

I thought it was really creepy in Technorati to actually see our work out there on the web. I know if it is on the web that anyone can see it but it does not really hit home until you find cataloged somewhere. CREEPY!!! I did think it was interesting that the day I looked at the "top blogs", they all had to do with technology. Which is great that we are learning these 23 things so that we can keep up with the rest of the world.

My thoughts are that as librarian's we need to know a little about everything. Our patron's expect us to know everything. So if we can be one step ahead or at least know where to find the information, we can at least know what they are talking about. All of these free gadgets out on Web 2.0 can be a wonderful addition to our services. Money can be hard to come by in the the non-profit sector so any freebies have a welcome invitation.

1 comment:

kdf_333 said...

well our patrons do think we know just about everything. actually knowing the name and being familiar with some of these things should be helpful. i would like them to be introduced to our patrons somehow. i think a lot of them would find at least 3 or 4 useful and 4 or more just plain fun!